Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hack'n'Slash

Sometimes playing D&D reminds me too much of playing Diablo and not enough of Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones. There are times that the amount of combat in 4E seems more akin to the Baldur's Gate games that were released for the consoles in early 2000. Maybe its that we've been playing in Faerun instead of a homebrew. Or maybe it was our first DM, who was new to the whole situation, and so didn't really have a story to tell in her mind. But I've noticed lately that, as a player, my game has been lacking in plot. I don't see other players really fleshing out their characters beyond stats on a page. But why do I feel like an ass for wanting character backgrounds and roleplaying?

Maybe I'm just cranky today.

Going to try to write a Star Wars one-shot for our game on Sunday. Trying to decide if I want it to be Exar Kun-era or pre-Saga.

And I'm pretty sure that I'm going to run it in 3.x, maybe with some house rules. Thinking pre-gens with a few Jedi, their pilot, maybe a droid. Something to tease a possible campaign.

1 comment:

  1. I know dick about 4e, having only played it once. From what I've read however, your observations about the game having a very linear, combat driven style seems prevalent. The game was designed to allow character to stomp monsters' asses and it does that well. Sadly, it seems that that is all the game does.

    I could be wrong, though. Like I said, I've had next to no experience.

    ReplyDelete